Saturday, January 11, 2020

SLJ Day 2 Activity 3 - Miracle On Hudson

For this activity, we would like to hear about a time when you, or someone you know, was brave like Sully.
On your blog, recount a time when you (or someone else you know) did something brave. 
Most of the things I've done don't really classify as 'brave' more as dumb and funny, so I decided to tell you guys something brave my Dad's done.

I depict my Dad as a cat since in my eyes he's got 9 + lives.  He's a farmer, really outgoing and a big risk taker.  One of the most bravest things he's done in my opinion is when he went across the river on our farm on the flying fox (our flying fox isn't like the ones you see in playgrounds, it's really hard to explain but it's basically like a cage you step into and it's attached onto a rope and you have to pull yourself to the other side. ) 

Image result for brave wordHe was doing a job on the other side of the river and it was flooding that day so he used the flying fox to get across.  When he finished he went back to the flying fox to get back across, but the flying fox had drifted it's way back to the other side because of the wind. My Dad had no other choice to get across so he had to tightrope across.  Luckily he had another rope above him to support him a bit more.  He got up to the middle part of the rope, yet he had so much to go.  His arms got supremely tired and he couldn't take it anymore so he dropped into the river ( keep in mind it was flooding! )  The fact that it was flooding made it hard for him to keep above water, but thankfully he made it to shore all in one piece.  When he came back home we were all shocked, but relieved at the same time.

Image Link 

3 comments:

  1. Kia Ora!

    Wow Mary! This is such a good example of a brave story! You have told this story so well! You did an amazing job of describing the flying fox! You also did such a good job of describing the flooding river! I could picture what was happening because of your awesome writing skills.

    Your dad sounds like a really brave man! I’m glad to hear he made it home safely! I would have been really scared if it was me!

    You have thought of a really good example of bravery! Can you think of any times you have been brave? Lots of people have to be brave when they go on school camps. When was a time you were brave?

    Well done on this post Mary! You did an amazing job retelling the story of your dad's bravery!

    Matilda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matilda

      Thank you for commenting!

      I guess this counts as 'brave' but back in 2016 I flew back to The Philippines with my mum since my Grandma had passed, and I remember being so scared and having thoughts of the plane crashing when we were about to take off. I squeezed my mum's hand ever so tightly, but once we were up in the air everything was fine. That was only my 2nd time flying so I was quite nervous.

      When was one time you were brave? I'm interested to find out :)

      Delete
    2. Hey Mary!

      This is such a good example of being brave! I find flying a bit scary sometimes too! I'm glad that it all went alright :)

      A time that I was brave was last year when I moved out of home and into University accommodation. I was really nervous not to live with my family any more but it was so much fun I'm glad I did it!

      Matilda :)

      Delete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.