Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Summer Learning Journey Activity # 4: The Tāne Mahuta Tree

In this activity I have to explain why I would/wouldn't want to visit the Tāne Mahuta in person one day. I would love to visit the Tāne Mahuta because it would be a fun experience getting to visit an endemic tree. I would also want to know how many people it would take to circle the whole tree. I also have never seen or have been near a tree as big as the Tāne Mahuta. The age of the Tāne Mahuta is unknown but it's estimated between 1,250 and 2,500 years old, it is also the largest kauri known to stand today. I think it's special and it would be an honour to visit it in real life.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mary

    My name is Allie and I am the cluster manager for the SLJ here in Toki Pounamu.
    Tane Mahuta is a really magnificent tree. I am lucky enough to have seen him in real life. And he is quite breath taking. Not only is he tall but also very wide. I am with you about having people join their hands around him. I do wonder just how many people this would take. I think about 30?
    What do you think if you had to guess?
    I really hope that the disease that is threatening the kauri trees does not get as far as Tane Mahuta. It is great that the people that visit the forest are obeying the rules and washing their shoes when the enter and leave the park.
    You will have to add this to your list of places to visit. It is well worth the trip.
    Remember to attribute your photos when you put them on your blog. I will post a link below. If you copy and paste this into your browser it will show you how to do this.


    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1VKjkMGwBrk2YI6Vtmg91OAQljr_T3ZSV6YZtu6MWFNM/edit​

    Keep up the great work

    Until next time

    Allie :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comment.